Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Problem With Having Siblings More Attractive Than You

The problem with having syblings more attractive than you get a lot of the following conversation:

LAUREN: Here is a picture of my sisters and my father.
MARGARITA: Your family is so beautiful. Especially your youngest sister.
LAUREN: I know! And she's skinny like Grethel (my skinny host sister).
MARGARITA: (Genuinely confused) I don't understand... She's so thin, and you're fat.
LAUREN : (Laughing) What can I say Margarita? That's life. Some people just get all the good genes.
MARGARITA: I agree.

Now, before you go thinking that that is such a rude or offensive thing to say there are a few things you should know about Nicaragua.

1. Nicaraguans are brutally honest.
2. There is almost no such thing as an offensive statement.
3. Margarita is one of the people I talk to the most in Nicaragua because she lives across the street from me and makes sure I don't get mugged on my way home from work. Because we are friends she has the right to say anything she wants to me.

After spending more than a year in total in some part of Central/South America I have grown very acostomed to this honesty and actually appreciate being able to reciprocate. To give more context to this conversation you should know that if I wanted to get the attention of the man who sells tortillas on my street I would yell "Hey, Fatty!!". I think the first few times you hear it it can be startling, but you actually get used to it. I find it pretty funny now.

My family who I miss so much!!

No comments: